Saturday, December 4, 2010

Henry's Freedom Box

What struck me most about this book when I saw it at Barnes and Noble was the beautiful illustration of a young black boy staring back at me.  I picked it up and read the title: Henry's Freedom Box: A True Story from the Underground Railroad. The author, Ellen Levine, tells the heartbreaking story of Henry, a young slave who doesn't even know his birthday. But the true magic of this book lies in the illustrations. Kadir Nelson makes this story come to life, the illustrations are captivating and enhance the feeling of the story. It is no surprise that this book was a 2008 Caldecott Honor book.  Henry escapes slavery by mailing himself to Philadelphia and Nelson captures the discomfort Henry must have endured as the box is turned and flipped throughout the journey.

At the end of the book, the author's note explains that Henry "Box" Brown was a real person who escaped slavery in Virginia in this amazing way. As a consistent skeptic, I googled Henry Box Brown. The Virginia Historical Society even has a collection dedicated to the man, with an image online that must have inspired Nelson for one of the closing illustrations in the book. (http://www.vahistorical.org/boxbrown.htm)

I think this picture will be a valuable asset to teaching about slavery in the United States. Sometimes I think the discussion often steps away from individuals and their experiences. We know that slavery is bad, but do we know what it feels like or how it hurts the individual? I think not. This picture book captures some of the pain and hurt that Henry endures while enslaved, and with beautiful illustrations to enhance the feelings evoked.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Kim! This book strikes me as a must-have and B&N is shipping it off to me right now as I post. I agree that a great asset of picture books is their ability to personalize and give meaning to abstract or historical events. Some folks get all caught up in the linguistics of how to "celebrate" confederate history month. Perhaps this book would be a good option to help clarify some things in that debate. Or maybe I'll just read "Henry's Freedom Box" as part of the commemoration.

    ReplyDelete