Saturday, December 11, 2010

Autobiography of an Author

My reading group read How I Came to Be a Writer by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. I knew that Phyllis Reynolds Naylor had written the Shiloh trilogy, but I had no idea what a prolific writer she was. As it turns out, she has been publishing her writing since the age of 16. Naylor started with short stories in church publications and then moved on to stories and columns in newspapers. What I found most surprising is how many books she has published. I had actually never heard of any of her other books, except Shiloh. Naylor shares how her initial love for writing has developed into a craft and the ways that the her experiences have affected and shaped her craft.
This is a fairly easy read and would be perfect for an elementary level author study, perhaps as a companion to reading Shiloh. My caution for use in the classroom, is that the book is not terribly engaging. It is interesting but it is kind of flat. I found it to be much like having a conversation with some one and much less like reading a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment